Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 01:21:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: graphical screen savers (was: Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...)

>> Also, in general, I agree that the pretty things going on while the
>> console is idle are best handled by screen savers.  Opinions?
>> Perhaps it would be best to have an vty ioctl that means 'engage
>> screensaver immediately, which getty can send
>> when it starts up, depending on a gettytab setting.  Alternately, we
>> could use an escape sequence instead, and set it up as the last
>> character sequence in gettytab's `lm' (login message) attribute.
> Have you look at "text" screen saver lkms in /usr/src/lkm/syscons?
> The screen saver lkm is called periodically from the console
> driver if there is no keyboard and mouse activities in the current
> vty. (Oh, you need to set timeout via vidcontrol too.) Isn't this
> interface enough for your graphical saver?

Yes, I am basing my work on that.  The bit about the new escape means
just not sitting around at a 'login' prompt until the screensaver
engages.

>> Well, enough of that, I've gotten in the mood to write a graphical
>> *SOMETHING* now, so I'll probably be submitting a graphical
>> screensaver RSN.
> Please keep me posted. I am interested in graphical screen savers!

I will post my discoveries and code to freebsd-hackers.  Presently, I
am just having some difficulties debugging, since I seem to be having
a problem switching in and out of a vty running libvgl code; it causes
the display to go into an unusable state.  Other than that, things
look alright.

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming: