Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 15:21:15 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS problems w/ HPUX 9.0.5

Hi,

This one has me stumped at the moment.

I'm mounting a disk from an HPUX 9.0.5 machine via NFS.  I find that if
I'm reading/writing simultaneously from the remote disk data gets corrupted.

The same sequence of operations across two FreeBSD boxes works fine.

Here is how to replicate the problem: consider two machines, `REMOTE'
and a FreeBSD box `LOCAL'.

    on REMOTE : export /fs1 -maproot=root etc

    from LOCAL :
	copy /usr/src/sys to REMOTE:/fs1/sys # copy tree first

    on LOCAL:

	cd REMOTE:/fs1; # reads only
		find ./sys -type f -print | xargs md5 > /tmp/md5-r

	This gets you the first set of checksums.

	Then on LOCAL do the following two commands simultaneously on the
	remote mounted partition.

	cd REMOTE:/fs1/sys;  mkdir ../sys2;
		find . -print | cpio -pdum ../sys2 & # copy tree and ...
	cd REMOTE:/fs1;
		find ./sys -type f -print | xargs md5 > /tmp/md5-rw  # read it

	Ie. we run the checksumming on the original tree while the copy
	over NFS is in progress.

    Diff /tmp/md5-r /tmp/md5-rw | more

		--> lots of differences if `REMOTE' was not a FreeBSD box
		--> no problems if `REMOTE' is a FreeBSD box

Incidentally the same procedure repeated across two HPUX boxes works fine.

So it looks like there is some kind of NFS incompatibility between FreeBSD
and HPUX.  I don't have access to any Suns that I could test against.
I'd be interested to know if any others on the list have encountered this
problem.  Is there anything I can do to work around this problem?

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE on a P5/16MB/500MB-IDE HP Vectra.

Koshy