Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:18:45 +0200
From:      Grigori Goronzy <greg@chown.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "atacontrol enclosure" does not work

Hi,

I tried to use the "enclosure" command of atacontrol, but it doesn't
work. I'd like to use it, especially to check the temperature of the
harddisk. It's an IBM DeskStar 120GXP drive with 80GB. For Linux there
is a tool called "hddtemp" and with this tool it works as expected with
this drive.

my configuration:
# atacontrol info 0
Master:  ad0 <IBM-DJNA-351520/J56OA30K> ATA/ATAPI rev 4
Slave:   ad1 <IC35L080AVVA07-0/VA4OA52A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5

then, when I try:
# atacontrol enclosure 0 0
atacontrol: ioctl(ATAENCSTAT): Device not configured
# atacontrol enclosure 0 1
atacontrol: ioctl(ATAENCSTAT): Device not configured

So, have I just misunderstood the use of the "enclosure" command, or is
this a bug?

I'm using 4.6.2-RELEASE.

Grigori