Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 15:58:53 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI CD-ROM not ready if no CD present

	I just installed FreeBSD 3.1 onto an older machine that is using a
AHA-1542CF SCSI controller, Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM, and two Seagate SCSI hard
drives.  All seems to work okay with the exception that the CD-ROM will
report NOT READY when probed at boot if there is no CD-ROM in the drive.  Is
this normal behavior?  My home computer uses an ATAPI CD-ROM that does not
require a CD to be present when probed.

dmesg:
cd0 at aha0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5401TA 3115> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

	Checked the mailing list archives, man pages for the cd device and
the GNATS database for references to this behavior with no luck.  Any info
appreciated, thanks.