Date:      Wed, 03 May 1995 23:35:49 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly), rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, daveh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: slattach!!!!!!!

>> Aye.  You should all just give up and succomb to expect.  Actually,
>> expect is a really interesting tool, and has a lot more fascinating
>> uses than just automating your PPP connections.
>
>Actually, in the case of PPP/SLIP, I think expect is overkill.  Chat
>does the job very well and is already part of the system.  I have not
>yet found a case where expect works any better than a decent CHAT
>script, and there are good examples of complex CHAT scripts in the
>O'Reilly UUCP books.
>

>Nate

Before I got a dedicated line to campus, I used expect to allow me to ring
my house in a specific patern and then have it call up to campus and
reconnect.  I was able to do this in ~14 lines of expect.  Can I do
the same sort of thing with chat?  This was under 1.1.5 when I fixed
slattach so that it would work with an expect script.  Dave is trying
to do a similar thing.  Some how, slattach was broken when it was
brought into 2.0.  I've known this for some time, but haven't had the time
or need since I got a dedicated line to track it down.  The tty code
is not my area.  It would be nice if someone who knows the tty code
and slattach could look to see what is happening when expect is used
with slattach.  My fix for 1.1.5 was to restore the tty state from a
snapshot taken during startup.  The multiple forking nature of the
current slattach makes this much for difficult, and it was a cludge
anyway.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1