Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 11:01:40 -0600
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, unix-wiz@listserv.nodak.edu
Subject:   Slow transfers one way, fast going other way-- on local LAN.

[sorry about re-post, stupid ctrl+enter==send button, and added subject..]
[You know it's a bad day when you get it right only the fourth time]

The LNE100TX saga continues:

I've lately had problems playing mp3's that are located on my
FreeBSD on my Windows box, via Samba/Netbios [mp3's skip,
while Windows to Windows they play fine] -- So I tried
something else, I played an MP3 from my Windows machine on
the FreeBSD box, it plays fine.

So I did a Samba file transfer from Windows to FreeBSD, I got
a file transfer of around 800kb/sec [is this kilobits or kilobytes
?]
Trying to then shove the same exact file back to the windows
machine it took about 5 minutes to transfer 2.5MB. hmmm... So
again I grabbed the file from Windows to my FreeBSD box, same
transfer rate [800 kb/sec]. When going FreeBSD to my Win 95
box the transfer rate is the speed of a 56k modem.

Anyone have any idea of what can be causing this?
Also I've noticed if I boot my Windows box to FreeBSD,
transfer speeds dont' Improve going from FreeeBSD to second
FreeBSD box, but from Second to First FBSD box it's good rate.

Another thing, if I do ifconfig dc0 down [or 10baseT/UTP],
and then ifconfig dc0 media 100baseTX up,
then do a file/ftp transfer, speeds are great for about
100MB, then die down as the transfer continues. Seems to be
happening only going one way.

LNE100TX cards, Linksys HUB, transfers work great in Windows
Anything you guys can think of that could be causing this?
This was all tested running @ 100baseTX on windows and
freebsd. Initally done with a 30MB file, once that worked
re-tested with a 500MB file, Win to FreeBSD [FreeBSD
initiating the transfer all times via smbclient]......
FreeBSD 4.3-Stable.

Took me about 15 seconds to grab the 30MB .wav file from
Windows, took about 5 minutes to send 2.5MB to Windows --
using same file.

I'm running out of ideas, it can't be the cards/hub, as transfers
work great win to win on the same exact machines [I went and
even installed FreeBSD on one of them just in case it was some
issue with FreeBSD and Windows, -- FBSD to FBSD still same
problem.]

What settings can I check? What can it be?
Can it be the bios? [even though it works in Windows fine]
Do I need to buy new NIC's ?
New computers? [both are 233MMX, the Win box is a no-name
mobo - I think it's crap thats why it has Win 95 on it :) ]

This whole problem is driving me nuts as I know
I'm probably doing something wrong, I'm about to go
out and buy new pc's just to fix this as it's pissing me off :).

www.FreeBSD.org
www.nul.cjb.net