Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 11:04:32 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        zeno@itchy.serv.net (Sean T. Lamont)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to reassign SCSI blocks?

Sean T. Lamont stands accused of saying:

> I looked through the stuff on www.freebsd.org and in the handbook & manpages,
> but the answer to this question has not become clear. How does one
> re-map a scsi block? I'm getting:
>
> MEDIUM ERROR: info 15c040 asc:aa,0
>
> I know under nextstep, there's a utility called 'reasb' which can be
> used for the purpose, and I'm looking for a similar beast under FreeBSD.

Look at the 'scsi' manpage for an example that describes editing
mode page 1 on a SCSI drive.  This page should contain ARRE and ARWE;
enabling these will request the drive perform automatic bad block forwarding
on read and write respectively.

You can also construct a reassignment command manually using 'scsi'.  I
don't know if anyone (Peter Dufault?) has a canned version of this lying
around...