Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:57:33 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC FastEtherworks?

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Ian Kallen wrote:

> Does the DEC FastEtherworks pci 10/100baseT card have the DC21041
> chip that everyone seems to be so enthused about? (Datacomm Warehouse
> has 'em for $139)
> Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
>    Director of Technology & Web Administration
>           http://www.gamespot.com

The DEC FastEtherworks PCI (DE500) uses the DC21140. The DC21041 is a
10mbps chip, and DEC uses it on the DE450 and in most of the built-in
ethernets they have (like on the Multia or the Prioris servers). All of
those cards are supported by FreeBSD's de driver (I have them all working).

Note that if you want to use the 10/100 card at 10mbps, you'll need to
add "-link2" to the ifconfig line for it, as there is a bug with the
speed/media detection code of the de driver.

Enjoy
Nadav