Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:30:02 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   inetd: auth/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

One or two problems here?

I get this server failing (looping) error message every time an email
arrives on this 3.3R system. Maybe it's related to the following
problem too, though it does say auth/tcp and not ident/tcp.

Also, I can't use most irc servers because they say there's no identd
when as far as I'm concerned it should be working.

I have installed pidentd port and /usr/local/sbin/identd is present.
/etc/inetd.conf contains only this (default) line:
   auth	stream	tcp	wait	root	/usr/local/sbin/identd	identd -w -t120
inetd has been sent a SIGHUP several times.
/etc/hosts.allow starts with
   ALL : ALL : allow

The freebsd-questions archive has a few slightly similar questions.
The most similar question/answer I found was the one below from Doug White.

If this is relevant to my problem(s) then I have another two questions:
which program is the one that's being run wrong? which man page?

=== snipped message from questions archive ===