Date:      Sat, 24 May 2008 16:38:02 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        Martin Matuska <mm@freebsd.org>, ports-list freebsd <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ImageMagick-6.4.1-3_1 selftest fails

Robert Huff wrote:
> Jan Henrik Sylvester writes:
>
>>  ImageMagick fails to build for me. I guess it is because I do the
>>  build as root while a different user "owns the display". (I do
>>  use kdm for login and start the build after su in a Konsole.)
>
> 	Built just fine for me, about an hour ago, on -CURRENT with no
> KDE involved.  OPTIONS screen worked fine.

Thanks. As I said, I tried to build with root while root was not allowed
to use the display. Granting root access with 'xhost +local:' or 'setenv
XAUTHORITY /usr/home/USER/.Xauthority' fixes the problem. Having to do
that was kind of unexpected for me...

Maybe I was just wrong trying this with 'su' as root instead of properly
being logged in with 'su -'. Having a DISPLAY=:0 set but being
disallowed from using it, may not be expected.

Jan Henrik