Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:21:29 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>, freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packaging base

Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 11:12 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :

> [Replies have been pointed to -hackers to get this off of -stable.]

[taken to libh]

> In <20020424121651.GA317@lenny.anarcat.dyndns.org>, The Anarcat=20
> <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org> typed:
>> On Wed Apr 24, 2002 at 12:17:37AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
>>> In <20020424050711.GC973@lenny.anarcat.dyndns.org>, The Anarcat=20
>>> <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org> typed:
>>> That one's not the problem. The problem is catting together many
>>> *floppies* to get a package prior to actually installing it. That's
>>> not quite so simple.
>> I could see a simple shell script deal with that. I think it is quite
>> simple.
>
> Your simple shell script has to prompt for floppies. That needs UI
> code. The people who know have decided that the current UI code isn't
> up to snuff. Hence libh.

Come on.. The current package system and sysinstall are quite good at=20
prompting for a simple yes/no question. The issue is really not there, I=20=

think.

Libh is developping a UI, fine. But we need to develop a way to package=20=

base efficiently.

>>> What makes you say that?
>> FUD. Documentation is written for sysinstall and everyone's used to
>> it.
>
> Considering that the installation process is the one that generates
> the most complaints/suggestions/etc., changing it is certainly a
> must. Yes, we'll need new documentation. I believe there are plans to
> have them both available for a while. But making it a drop-in would
> defeat one of the reasons for rewriting it.

I originally agreed with you, but I met some resistance in trying to=20
convince people so.

>>> Yes, but it will change eventually.
>> I hope not. I prefer keeping the package management system seperate
>> from the source management system.
>
> Wait - source management? What does libh or sysinstall have to do with
> source management, beyond installing the source in the first
> place. Ideally, you want that to be just another package.

Well, that's what I'm saying: libh or sysinstall shouldn't have anything=20=

to do with source management. :)

I'm concerned with getting base packaged. It shouldn't be too hard to=20
package base in either libh or classic pkgtools once the framework is in=20=

place.

I'm concerned that since libh doesn't currently aim at handling the=20
current bin.xx brute-force system, it will need base to be packaged in=20=

order to install a running system.

And libh will meet resistance not only from being a brand new system,=20
but also at trying to package base, which will break havoc among=20
developpers.

That's why I think the libh vs sysinstall and bin.xx vs base.tgz issues=20=

must be separated.

>>> And yes, it's going to require rewriting the package format to deal
>>> with the issues needed for working on the base system.
>> I don't think you have proved that point.
>
> You're right, I haven't. I've been resorting to argument by authority,
> which isn't proof. However, I tend to believe the original author of a
> software when he says that something needs to be done a specific way
> to change that system. If you want to argue with the author, jkh's
> address is well-known.

I am not sure jkh would say that libh was written to repackage the base=20=

system. It seemed kind of implicit in the design documents, wasn't it?

A.