Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:29:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com, terry@lambert.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Artisoft AE-3 Ethernet card: How to use large buffer?

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > I'm not sure, but I believe that the internal buffer is not directly
> > accessible on NE2000 clones. As I understand it, the RAM is accessible via
> > programmed I/O after setting a pointer register. (This is one of the common
> > criticisms of the architecture: PIO isn't quite as fast as shared memory.)

Brett is correct here, in that memory on the NEx000 cards is not
directly mapped.

> > > You need to set mem_end to mem_start + 64k.  This should be done in
> > > whichever probe routine is coming true.
> >
> > Aren't the mem_end and mem_start parameters used for cards that have shared
> > memory (rather than a PIO/counter scheme)?

There are different I/O routines used depending on the card type; see
the ed_pio_* routines for those that work with the NEx000 cards.

> > Again, I'm not certain, but I believe that access to the buffer does not
> > take place via a memory window at all.
>
> I was reading from the comments in the /sys/i386/isa/if_ed.c.  Search
> for the string "mem_end".
>
> I think you might be looking at the 3COM specific code?

No, the 3com cards have (optional) shared memory, which IIRC is required.

Regardless, mem_{start|end|size} are the correct numbers to work with,
they describe the internal configuration of the card.