Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:13:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com> wrote:
 > 2005/11/12, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>:
 > > Dankoweit writes:
 > >
 > > > My question is now: is there an overview on which embedded systems
 > > > FreeBSD runs?
 >
 > It does really matters what do you mean by "embedded system". I
 > suppose you're interested in the form factor of i386 computers.
 >
 > > Typically in this space, people select hardware based on I/O
 > > requirements and there is plenty to pick at.
 > >
 > > FreeBSD runs on pretty much anything with an i386 compatible CPU,
 > > and the soekris is merely the hackers favourite.
 > >

 > I have experience running FreeBSD (4-STABLE and up) on VIA embedded
 > main boards. More info:
 > - http://www.viaembedded.com/index.jsp
 > I also think you'll find the following links interesting:
 > - http://www.tri-m.com/products/cpu.html#3_5
 > - http://www.tri-m.com/products/cpu.html#5_25
 > Lots of hardware to choose from, different form factors, on board i/o
 > ports, etc ...

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I'm
running FreeBSD 6 successuflly on a VIA EPIA PD-10000.
That's a Mini-ITX mainboard (6.7" x 6.7") with 1GHz VIA
C3-Nehemiah processor.  All components are completely
supported by FreeBSD, including the hardware random number
generator and the hardware crypto accelerator, which is
used by IPSEC and OpenSSL.  This little box is now my
DSL router (it has 2 NICs onboard and can be upgraded
via a standard PCI slot).  It also has six (!) USB2 ports,
four (!) serial ports, one parallel, two UDMA133-capable
PATA channels (for up to four devices), onboard graphics
and sound.

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/epia/

There are various variants of the EPIA boards, with varying
onboard components, processor speeds, passive and active
cooling etc.

Furthermore, I have FreeBSD 4-stable installed on an
AdvanTech SBC (single-board computer) with 233 MHz Geode
processor.  The board is just 4" x 6" (about the size of
a 3.5" hard disk).  I use this sweet little thing as a
stand-alone mp3 player.  It's running diskless (boots
from a CompactFlash card and mounts data via NFS).

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/cantaro/

Best regards
   Oliver

 > Can the denizens of this group enlighten me about what the
 > advantages of Python are, versus Perl ?
"python" is more likely to pass unharmed through your spelling
checker than "perl".
        -- An unknown poster and Fredrik Lundh