Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:54:55 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP vulnerabilities ...

Hi,

I'm just about configuring a PicoBSD-based VPN gateway settop
box kind of thing :-). I am dealing with cable modem ISPs and
decided to do it the right way, i.e. DHCP. I discovered some
problems with DHCP during the setup phase, where the machine
is in a weird state, the firewall may not be configured right
and neither are the IPsec policies. During that short time
frame after DHCP has assigned a new address and the completion
of the IPsec ipf stuff called from /etc/dhclinent-exit-hooks
the interface is up and may be unprotected. It would be nice
if there was a way to keep the re-configured interface down
and only bring it up after all is well in /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks.
Sure I can (and will) do that in my dhclient-script ("ifconfig if0 down"
"ifconfig if0 up",) but just wanted folks to know about this.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine