Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 16:53:38 -0400
From:      jfreeze@lexmark.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing and Running PostgreSQL

David Kelly provided me with excellent instructions on installing Postgres.
I was able to follow them and install tk/tcl and postgresql-6.4.2.
However, when I tried the following

> % createuser jfreeze

instead of

> Enter user's postgres ID or RETURN to use unix user ID: 928 ->
> Is user "jfreeze" allowed to create databases (y/n) y
> Is user "jfreeze" allowed to add users? (y/n) y
> createuser: jfreeze was successfully added

I got a message that the backend quit , and some stuff about SYSVSEM or
something.
Then I remembered an email I had received earlier from Thomas Good.

Thomas Good wrote:
> Once you build PG you need to enable the trio of sys v functions
> in the kernel src (SYSVSHM, SYSVMSG and SYSVSEM)
> and the do a kernel rebuild. After that it works fine.

Whoa there Nelly. Can someone please translate that for me.
Exactly how is this to be done. I sure hope that I can do all that.
Do I need kernel sources? I don't know if I installed the user or the
developer model.  (That was a lot of questions :-)  )
As a newby, rebuilding the kernel for the first time is somewhat frightning.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org

PS. Is it just me, or this one long and involved install?