Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:41:21 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        hv <hv@tuebingen.mpg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel and gm0 (gmirror)

hv wrote:

[...]

> why not just using gmirror to break and recreate the mirror, something
> like this:
>
> 1) remove one disk (it's a mirror!)
> 2) recreate the label on this disk, newfs it and  copy everything over
> from the remaining mirror disk.
> 3) if you booted off the mirror, you need to adjust fstab to boot from
> the disk 1) and reboot, then destroy the mirror.
> 4  recreate the mirror on the disk from 1), if you want to boot from
> the mirror, re-adjust the fstab and reboot
> 5) insert the second disk into the recreated mirror in 4)
>
> see  gmirror(8), hope this helps.

Yes, it is one of the possible ways of "backup all your data"... :)

And another way could be - remove one drive (provider) from gmirror,
data remains on it.
Recreate the label on gmirror gm0 + newfs
Copy data from previously removed provider
Reinsert provider in to new gmirror
[and do some steps with fstab + reboot if needed]

I feel myself safer if data is backuped off the machine where I play
with disks / newfs / gmirror etc.

Miroslav Lachman