Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:18:04 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Vladimir Terziev" <vlady@rila.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cisco AIR-PCI 352 card strange behaviour

> From: "Vladimir Terziev" <vlady@rila.bg>
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:02:59 +0300
> Sender: owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
>

>   Hi,
>
>   I have a dual-boot machine with Cisco AIR-PCI 352 card on it. The machine
> boots FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and Windows'98.
>
>   The AIR-PCI 352 card works either with FreeBSD and Win98, but it has
> different behaviour under both.
>   When it works under Win98, ping to my gateway machine is ~ 6ms. When it
> works under FreeBSD, ping is ~ 200ms. That is very strange for me and I want
> to know what is the reason for this behaviour and how I can drop the ping
> under FreeBSD to be similar to ping under Win98?

Probably better to post this sort of thing to mobile or hardware, but
I'll take a shot at it.

Is it possible that you have power management enabled? For a Orinoco
or Prism ][ based card, this will cause a significant delay in the
start of transmission as the transmitter is powered on. 200 ms. is a
bit long. For the wi driver, the default is 100 ms.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)