Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:10:03 +0000
From:      lars.falch@dbergstrom.dk
To:        Doug White  <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation?

Hi Doug,

>> Okey, so I should completely forget my knowledge about Linux
>> during the installation? ;)
>
> Maybe.  It depends on how stuck you get, if you get stuck :)

Well, after a couple of attemps I got through the installation.
But I have a couple of questions.

Where is your shell defined? I've checked both the passwd and
the master.passwd file, but it doesn't seem to  make a
difference what the shell statements are here?

Another thing, I have configured my XFree96 exactly the same
way as I did with the latest slackware, but when I try to run
'startx' it starts up the server and the screen goes blank -
and the machine restarts? I am using a Pentium Pro with a
Matrox Millenium 2 mb. Any suggestions?

A last thing, when I am using the /stand/sysinstall program to
install packages, I run into a problem, since I am installing
from an msdos partition I only have 8.3 filenames, and the
installation program is expecting long filenames, and it
therefore can't install. Is there anyway of 'cheating' the
program or do I have to install everything manually?

> Certainly, let us know at questions@freebsd.org.

Great, thanks a lot ;)

                        \\\|///
                      \\  - -  //
                       (  @ @  )
| Lars Falch                       webmaster@dbergstrom.dk |
| Supporter                       http://www.dbergstrom.dk |
                      oooO     (   )
                       \_)

  "Whoever controls what you see controls what you think."