Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:31:53 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        CE_ZHH@HAL.LAMAR.EDU, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commenting from file

In article <960816004002.87b4@HAL.LAMAR.EDU> you wrote:
: Dear users of FreeBSD-2.1.5,

 Gday!

: Does anyone know where I can get the source code?  I've look in the src
: directory at the mirror sites but can't seem to find the right one.
: Rather than download the entire dir, can someone tell me where to find
: the source for the kernel?  The reason I need it is to recompile my own
: kernel to better support X-Windows. (For some reason, it keeps giving me
: a message saying that ttyv4 doesn't exist.  It doesn't, I tried using
: MAKEDEV but am so inept at this it really isn't funny.  Down right annoying
: in fact.)

 You shouldn't really need to do this.

: Any help to either of the questions above, (Yes, there are two.  One is just
: cleverly disguised as side comment.) would be extremely appreciated.

: Thanks a lot!  I know there has to be someone out there who can answer my
: burning questions.  For certain, if there wasn't, we should all bury our heads
: in large piles of sand and cry ver very VERY hard.)

 As root go into the /dev directory and type say

 ./MAKEDEV vty05

 which will give you ttyv0 -> ttyv4

 I have in my /etc/ttys file something like...

 ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
 ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off
 ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off
 ttyv3   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm on

 which starts up X when i turn the machine on but thats up to you.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  Finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for public PGP key