Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 06:34:24 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: modify termcap to support both A[FB] and S[fb]...

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> I object against your objection. :-)  ncurses (libdialog?) seems to
> have made a simlar arbitrary decision about using Sf/Sb.  None if them
> is ``more correct'' than the other one, and i remember a discussion in
> the XFree86 team that AB/AF are supposedly from SysV land.

We don't need to add A* entries, as I already say, the reason is
misunderstanding between S* and A* treating.

Sb not equal to AB and Sf not equal to AF.

Sb (setb) stays as "set background color"
AB (setab) stays as "set ANSI background color"

similar things for Sf/AF

The difference is that S* entries could put any color (like user-defined)
while A* entries restricts to ANSI colors only.

The rule is: if terminal can't redifine colors and its colors are ANSI
ones, we should use A* entries, else S* entries (not both of them in
any case).

This subject reveal a bug in cons25 termcap entry, A* should be there,
I'll fix it ASAP.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>