Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 20:22:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IOZone Benchmarking...

Hi...

	I'm just curious as to what I should be expecting in the
way of values from iozone.

	My system is now a 486DX4-100 w/ 16Meg of RAM, just upgraded
from a 386DX40 w/ 8Meg of RAM...and I swear its slower, and iozone
just confirmed it for me.

	I'm running *-current, and under the 386, 'iozone 10' was
showing readings like:

	723935bytes/sec write, 873244bytes/sec read (IDE Maxtor 7345AT)

	Under the 486, using the onboard IDE in 32bit mode, I'm seeing

	IOZONE performance measurements:
        313153 bytes/second for writing the file
        383041 bytes/second for reading the file

	A substantial drop.

	My SCSI drives *were* showing something like:

	846265bytes/sec, 1203746bytes/sec

	Now:

	IOZONE performance measurements:
        514638 bytes/second for writing the file
        590487 bytes/second for reading the file

	Again, a serious drop.

	Of key issue to what I'm noticing would be running software,
like pine, that is slow to start, which I assume is due to the shared
libraries.  With performance on the IDE drive's ability to read dropped
by at least a third...the slowdown kinda makes sense...

	I think this probably accounts for my poor system performance
altho the upgrade from 386DX40 to 486DX4-100 *should* have made what
I would consider a substantial improvement...especially with double
the RAM.

	Both systems, for SCSI, are using an Adaptec 1542CF controller,
so my SCSI controller  hasn't changed.

	The motherboard is an ACER AP43 motherboard, with 4ISA-AT slots
and 3PCI.  I'm using one of the PCI for an ATI Mach64 video card, and
one ISA slot for the Adaptec controller.  I'm using onboard IDE/floppy
and serial, and as such, have no other cards installed in this machine.

	Any recommendations/similar experiences are much appreciated...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc