Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 00:46:04 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>, kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly), rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, daveh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: slattach!!!!!!!

> Before I got a dedicated line to campus, I used expect to allow me to ring
> my house in a specific patern and then have it call up to campus and
> reconnect.

Huh?  How to you ring a house in a pattern?

> I was able to do this in ~14 lines of expect.  Can I do
> the same sort of thing with chat?

The purpose of chat is to dial the phone and login to an account, not
calculate your monthly phone bill. :-)

> This was under 1.1.5 when I fixed slattach so that it would work with
> an expect script.

> Some how, slattach was broken when it was brought into 2.0.

It may be broken for expect, but it works great with chat as I've had
*zero* problems with my connection once I got all of the little quirks
figured out.  (None of which were chat/slattach related)

Bruce's comments may explain some of the behavior with regards to
process groups and such.  Is it possible that chat ignores SIGHUP and is
therefore not succeptible to being killed when slattach drops carrier?

Nate