Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:00:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, dannyman@sasquatch.dannyland.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Fund

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> >   What about a special net subscription, which gives you a login id and
> > password for a FTP/WWW server that gives you guarrenteed access?  I hate
> > it when I need to get something (last time was a copy of committlogs to
> > see what had changes in libc_r), and ftp.freebsd.org is full.
>
> Hmmm.  I'd sooner set up another FTP server - I really don't want to

  Ok, doesn't really matter.

> get into anything which creates a set of "haves and have-nots", even

  It wouldn't be the "haves" and "have-nots", just the "right now", "maybe
now" group.  Everyone can get the same stuff.

> >   Also, another subscription service that would interesting in binary
> > patchkits via the net.  Send out e-mail to paying members notifying of
> > them of significant patch kits available, and provide a single command
>
> *shudder*. :-)
>
> Again, I can see the value in it but it would be a hellish job for such
> a person.  I'll keep it in mind but not too much in mind. :)

  Wasn't someone doing a patch kit thing for 2.2-stable?

  Basically, this is a no-brainer.  It costs companies money to maintain
FreeBSD.  Basically this is "make buildworld" and/or "make release" on
some type of development machine, then then "make installworld" on every
server (once it is tested).  How many organizations are doing this now?
Imagine the duplication of effort.  These same companies could give
FreeBSD Inc $200/yr (or more) and save a LOT of money.

> 					Jordan

Tom