Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ryan Lauterbach <ryan@ece.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd installation question

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Ryan Lauterbach wrote:

> I am installing freebsd 3.2 from a dos partition.  The installation was a
> success except for that when i go to add packages i've downloaded i get an
> error message saying 'can't find packages/Index from the media i've
> chosen'.  I have chosen the correct installation media (dos partition) and
> the file INDEX is in place in my hard drive at c:\freebsd\packages\INDEX.
> I am at a loss as to why the installation program does not see this file.

It's expecting it to be on a CD or retrieved by FTP.  I'd suggest
installing packages manually with pkg_add in this instance.

> This is preventing me from installing X windows.

X is not a package.  It shouldn't cause a problem.

> Also, when i go to set up the network preferences to chose a PPP
> interface, it gives me options for COM1 and COM2 but my modem is on COM4.
> Maybe this is the wrong place to be setting up the modem.

You need to enable COM4 in the boot-time config; it's not on by default
since it conflicts with older video cards.

Doug White