Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:31:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simeon Nifos <archwndas@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install FreeBSD from isos on USB hard-drive partition

Dear FreeBSD users,
We all know that installing any OS from DVD isos and/or CD isos takes time. Especially FreeBSD still doesn't provide even a DVD iso and it is hard to change CDs during the installation. Even if a DVD iso is provided it takes time to install. I was wondering if anyone of you ever managed to "write" somehow the isos on a USB hard-disk or USB-flash partition and perform the installation from there. Be careful, I am not saying to install FreeBSD on a USB drive, I am asking if it is possible to transfer somehow the isos on the USB hard-drive or USB-flash drive and then boot from it as if I was booting from the FreeBSD CD iso and perform the installation of FreeBSD on my hard disk. I hope that if this is achieved somehow, the installation will spead up significantly.

So is it possible?

Best,
Archwn.

Be a better friend, newshound, and