Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:18:59 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation/setup attempt not going well

On Sunday 03 March 2002 11:01 pm, Perry Hutchison wrote:
> The network setup now looks much better, but I still don't know how
> to go about finding and installing the "unknown server" for XF86.
> When I try to select the Trident TGUI9680 card, I get (verbatim):
>
>     *** The server required by your card is not installed!  Please
>     abort, install the unknown server as /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_unknown
>     and run this program again ***
>
> Is the "unknown server" in one of the distribution sets or packages,
> or do I have to track it down elsewhere (and if so, where)?  Or,
> is "unknown" a placeholder for something else (and if so, what)?

If you installed XFree86 from the CD you  have version 3.3.6. I strongly
recommend uninstalling that and installing version 4. You can do this from
the ports collection or as a package from the FreeBSD site. Version 4 has
much better support and drivers for the video cards.  My choice is to compile
from the ports as the distribution has all the servers, fonts, etc. The
"unknown server" is telling you that 3.3.6 doesn't support that video card.
You can check on your card at http://www.xfree86.org but I'm almost sure I've
seen that card as being supported in version 4.

> On other matters:
> > Yes, do pkg_info to show installed packages/ports
>
> That extracts the list, which is certainly a start.  Is there a way
> to feed it back into the installer, or do I still have to pick them
> out of the menus by hand?

Once you have your networking running look into the ports collection. The
tree can be easily updated via cvsup and ports upgraded using portupgrade.
It's really much easier than those menus in /stand/sysinstall and will also
keep you up to date with the latest releases. All this is documented very
well in the handbook on your box or at http://www.freebsd.org

> > "Faith" is an ipv6 translator, you don't want to change any settings on
> > that.
>
> In that case, I think it would be an improvement to change the
> description from <unknown network interface type> to something
> along the lines of <IPv6 translator> or even <internal use only>.
> As it is, that menu entry looks like a way to install or select
> a driver for a currently-unrecognized interface.
>
> > > ep0: <3Com 3C509-Combo EtherLink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 10 on
> > > isa0 ep0: No irq?!
> >
> > You need to disable PNP in your system's BIOS.
>
> Had already been done, I think.  "PNP OS Installed" was already set to
> "No".  I couldn't find any other BIOS settings that sounded like they
> would disable PNP.  (Asus P2L97 board with Award 4.51PG BIOS, in case
> it matters.)
>
> > Also check to make sure you have enough IRQ's assigned to legasy mode.
>
> This appears to have been the problem.  Only "IRQ  5 Used By ISA" was
> set to "Yes", but 3, 4, 7, 9-12, 14, and 15 were all set to "No/ICU"
> (whatever ICU means).  I changed IRQ 10 to also be "Yes", forcing
> the BIOS to move USB to another IRQ, and ep0 is now included in the
> sysinstall list under Configure/Networking/Interfaces.
>
> This would have been much easier to track down if ep0 had been listed
> in the initial kernel config as having a "conflict".  I don't think
> ep0 was listed at all -- if it was, I missed it.
>
> Also, I'd suggest improving that "No irq?!" message.  Something along
> the lines of "Irq 10 already assigned to uhci0" would have been more
> descriptive in this case -- granted there may be other causes for this
> message.

I have a few of those 3C905 cards and even though old they work well.
However, the newer pci cards usually setup with fewer problems like IRQ's etc
... I can't remember ever having an IRQ problem with a pci card.

> > Next  there is a configure utility
> > available from 3Com to set up that card. You will have to boot your
> > machine with a DOS boot disk, Then run the 3Com utility to setup your NIC
> > and an IRQ. A careful look through dmesg should provide one that's not in
> > use.
>
> Had already been done.  Just to make sure, I downloaded the latest
> version.  It shows PNP disabled, and the same I/O base and IRQ as
> in the dmesg.

Sounds to me like you are most of the way there. At this point I would
suggest getting familiar with the handbook. Once you have the initial setup
done there are usually easier ways to setup and configure than using
/stand/sysinstall.

Good luck,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510