Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:06:11 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        eric <eric@tarsier.domain.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible CAM problem, ahc/st34371w

eric wrote:

> The drive will do ultra-wide according to the seagate documentation
> (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/st34371w.shtml) but you need a 2940uw

I didn't know that... ;-) - I have a 2940UW in my -current machine with the
drives connected, so I'll give it a go...

> It's possible my cabling/termination is faulty, although there's nothing else
> on the bus except the host adapter and the st34371w drive.

I have the same scenario here, but I have 3 x ST34371's on 1 x AHA 2940
(with an adaptec cable)...

> It may be that the
> drive's internal termination is broken, or that the cable is flaky, though. I
> will at least try replacing the cable and using an external terminator, to see
> if that helps. I'll let you know if I start seeing problems with tagged command
> queueing once i fix that.
>
> Incidentally, does option "FAILSAFE" still disable t.c.q. ?

I don't think so - I had to edit /sys/cam/cam_xpt.c - you need to add the
following to that file (inside the xpt_quirk_table[] block):-

 {
                /* Broken tagged queing drive
                 * Reported by: Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
                 */
                { T_DIRECT, SIP_MEDIA_FIXED, "SEAGATE", "ST34371W*", "*" },
                /*quirks*/0, /*mintags*/0, /*maxtags*/0
 }

The above will disable tagged-command queing for any ST3471W's on your bus
once you recompile the kernel)...

If you get stuck - mail me and I'll send you the file...

After seeing Ken's comments - are problems may _not_ be related, but I'd
like to see if we can come up with anything between us - as we both have the
same drive, the same controller - and we both have problems...

This is starting to get a bit off-topic - we can either move to say
-hardware, or just mail each other until we have some more / firm details if
you want...

Regards,

Karl