Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 08:35:15 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

> ago.  GCC 1.4.5 was used by NetBSD looong after GCC 2 was released.

Until PK's shlib scheme, yes.  NetBSD actually completely switched to
gcc2 at that point, where some folks in the FreeBSD camp (ie; me) whined
badly enough that FreeBSD had two compilers GCC1 and GCC2 for quite a
while, but I finally gave up since maintenance was a nightware.

> It was very quick, easy on memory, and very stable (read not very
> buggy).  GCC 2.x.x in the 2.5.x time-frame was a buggy mess, from the
> many accounts I've heard.

But the shlib hacks didn't work in GCC 1.

> The two biggest reasons they finally switched to 2.x.x were because 1)
> GCC 2.7 finally fixed enough of the bugs that it was deemed usable,
> and some of the non-i386 ports (like the 68K) didn't produce very good
> code in 1.4.5, and 2) there were just some features they needed to
> move forward (many of them having to do with obscure non-Intel
> processors, from what I remember).

The *biggest* reason was the shlibs worked in GCC 2 and not in GCC 1.
Now, the above reasons may be why they switched from Gcc 2.5.3 -> 2.7.2,
since the GCC in NetBSD was 2.5.3 until recently.  Did NetBSD *ever* run
any variant of gcc 2.6?

> The core group has said more than once, however, that if they could
> find another ANSI-compliant compiler, source-distributable, not under
> the GPL (well, under a Berkeley-style license), that was much smaller
> and simpler, and worked well with all the architectures, they'd jump
> to it without a complaint.  Lcc is one that has come up several times,
> but has been deemed "not quite ready, yet".

It has been deemed 'not using a valid copyright', and to top it off the
shlib scheme used in both camps won't work with it. :(

Nate