Date:      Wed,  9 Sep 1998 10:53:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

Quoth Nate Williams on Wed, 9 September:
:
: For what it's worth, I've been on the phone with TowerJ lately, and
: there is *definite* interest in their providing a native FreeBSD port of
: their product, which is essentially a executable maker.  Given that our
: JDK is a poor performer but is now pretty stable, this is a good thing.
: If/when it happens I plan on 'converting' the development tools into
: executables, which should also speed up performance.

I was using the Linux version with no problems, for as long as the
demo license lasted.  It does speed performance by an order of
magnitude.  I ended up relying upon the towerized native version of
the pizza compiler, since javac was so buggy (both on solaris and
fbsd) and interpreted was so slow (on bsd).