Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:28:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        brian@shift.lan.awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

> : The idea is to stop the default from being "you've always got to
> : hack this stuff on a unix box".  Let's get it right.
>
> OK.  Make the funny looking key generate 0x7f and the Delete key
> generate 0x08.  That's the only right thing to do.  Others will
> disagree, that's what makes it a religious argument.

My "funny looking key" still has the ASCII standard defined word
"Backspace" on it.

I think what Brian wants to do is change the default erase character
in FreeBSD to not need a root (and every console user) .profile or
an /etc/gettytab hack to make it work by default.

That way it works for root by default without the hack, and the <X]
key on my VT100 works by default when I tset vt100 when I log in as
root from there (and the terminal type is set by my /etc/ttys for
the device).

This won't affect your hacks, which will all continue to work as
expected (hackishly).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org