Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:11:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Final request for help with release. (DPT boot floppy)

Hi Jaye Mathisen;  On 22-Aug-97 you wrote:

>  It's gotta be laid out on a DPT controller to get the right bizarro
>  geometry, (plus it's raid 5), so an individual disk move wouldn't solve
>  the problem.
>
>  The problem is somehow specifically related to the number of inodes in
>  the
>  MFS image, but I can't figure out how to make that larger.  Making a new
>  kernel only made the floppy image smaller.
>
>  Chainge FSINODES in doFS.sh didn't seem to help either.
>
>  On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > So I can build a working 1.2.1 kernel, and I can get it on the disk,
> > > but
> > > fixit won't work so I can copy the kernel off the floppy to the
> > > drive.
> > > Or ftp it, or any other way that I can think of.
> >
> > And I assume that you've already contemplated physically moving the
> > drive to another machine for the xfer?
> >
> >                                     Jordan

Listen guys and gals;

The boot images in sendero-ppp are what was used to install snedero-ppp and
copper and brass.  This is at home, in my office.  In our lab there are at
least twenty more machines which installed and booted from the same floppy
image.

Configurations?

Sendero:  SuperMicro P6DNH with two processors and 256MB RAM, 2 DPT PM3334UW
          with 8 disks on one and 7 on the other, plus Sony DAT plus
          Plextor CD.  The only thing that does not work is interrupts for
          the Intel 100MBI PCI 100Base-TX cards and sound.  This relates to
          the MB, not the DPT.  This is a -current machine.

Copper:   Intel PR440FX with twin processors and 64MB of RAM.  One DPT
          PM3334UW with 6 disks on one BUS and 7 on the other.  This is a
          RELENG_2_2 machine.

Brass:    P6DNH with one DPT and 128MB of RAM, etc.  Only 2 disks on bus 0
          and 8 on busses 1, 2.

In the lab we have several Crystal Industrial computers with Pentium CPU
cards, Some Texas Micro with PEntium and some with PP processors.  They all
work.

As soon as I get Justin's last comments integrated and not panic, I will
release another patch.  First for 2.2, then for -current.  We ship our
product on 2.2, so that must be done first.

Simon