Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:17:38 -0800
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD bind performance in FreeBSD 7

--------------enig8118FBA68A78A9B7DF75DE34

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> My beef with the DNS tests was that ISC ran out and bought
> the hardware FIRST, -then- they started testing.  This is
> directly contrary to every bit of advice ever given in
> the computer industry for the last 50 years - you select
> the software FIRST, -then- you buy the hardware that runs it.
> In short, it said far more about the incompetence of the
> testers than the shortcomings of the software.

This is ridiculous.  ISC is one of the most fervent pro-FreeBSD=20
companies out there (basing most of our services on the OS, and=20
contributing to the FreeBSD community including the busiest CVSup & FTP=20
servers and have FreeBSD committers on staff)  I will not stand back and =

watch folks on a public mailing list call us incompetent individuals=20
with a anti-FreeBSD bias.

First off the final report was published last Friday at:
http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/index.pl?tn=3Disc-tn-2008-1.html
(the server this is served from runs FreeBSD)

I was not one of the direct testers (we had a couple PhD's handling=20
that, who I know both use FreeBSD on their personal systems), but as one =

of the folks who supported them in their work, I can tell you that the=20
stats we gave the FreeBSD folks were from a test sponsored by the US=20
National Science Foundation.  We were mandated to use branded HW and we=20
tested several models from HP, Sun, even Iron Systems (whitebox) before=20
deciding on the HP's.  The mechanism we used are all documented in the=20
paper We were also asked to test DNS performance on several OS's.

The short version was 'take a standard commercial off the shelf' server=20
and see how BIND performs (esp. with DNSSEC) on it.  We weren't asked to =

get hardware that was perfect for Brand X OS; that wasn't part of the rem=
it.

(We actually use the exact same HP HW for a secondary service where we=20
host a couple of thousand zones using BIND including 30+ TLD zones.  Oh=20
and it runs FreeBSD)

Yes we found FreeBSD performed poorly in our initial tests. and I talked =

to several folks (including rwatson and kris) about the issue.  Kris had =

already been working on improving performance with MySQL and PgSQL and=20
was interested in doing the same with BIND.  Kris went off and hacked=20
away and right before EuroBSDcon last September asked us to re-run the=20
tests (on the same HW) using a 7.0-CURRENT snapshot, and the end results =

are shown with a 33,000 query increase over 6.2-RELEASE, bring FreeBSD=20
just behind the Linux distros we tested.  I know rwatson and kris have=20
continually worked on the relevent network stack issues that cover BIND, =

and additional performance gains have been found since then, and working =

on this issue has been a true partnership between the FreeBSD developers =

and ISC.

BIND isn't perfect, we admit that, we have been constantly improving=20
it's multi-CPU performance and BIND 9.4 and 9.5 are continuing in that=20
effort.  We have several members of our dev team who use FreeBSD as=20
their developent platform, including a FreeBSD committer.

So Ted, stop spouting this "ISC is spewing anti-FreeBSD bias" crap, it=20
flatly isn't true...

Oh, and this email is coming to you via several of ISC FreeBSD MX=20
servers which resolve the freebsd.org name via caching DNS servers=20
running FreeBSD, to freebsd.org's MX server over a IPv6 tunnel supplied=20
by ISC to the FreeBSD project to help FreeBSD eat their own IPv6 dog food=
=2E..

Yeah, ISC just hates FreeBSD... <rolls eyes>

Best Wishes - Peter
--=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"