Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:50:16 +0000
From:      Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If I have portmanager, do I need portupgrade?

On 03/13/05 15:57:23, Chris Hodgins wrote:
> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>> On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:38 pm, you wrote:
>>=20
>>> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount =20
>>> of
>>> time as portupgrade for each run?
>>>=20
>>> Chris
>>=20
>>=20
>> That is a tough question here is how it tends to work for me:
>>=20
>> First I run it everyday since I'm developing it I have to know if =20
>> there
>> is anything changed in ports that is going to cause portmanager to
>> crash.  Most days it takes less than an hour, but sometimes when
>> just one lower level port like gettext for example is updated it may
>> take 24 hours to finish.  I'm using a 1ghz machine with both gnome
>> and kde (all together about 300 installed ports) as an example.
>>=20
>> Here is exactly how portmanager works:
>>=20
>> First dependent ports that are out of date are upgraded, then =20
>> everything
>> that depends on them are upgraded.  portupgrade does not work this =20
>> same way so the time comparison is very tough to predict.
>>=20
>> -Mike
>>
>=20
> Ah I see.  So portmanager is sort of doing the equivelant to:
> portupgrade -fr myOutOfDatePort ??
>=20
> Does this not mean it will always be slower than portupgrade?  If it =20
> a low-level port it is going to take ages but if it is high-level it =20
> will start to get closer to the time it takes for portupgrade to run.  =20
> Never faster?  Or am I missing something.
>=20
> Is there a reason it does it this way over portupgrades method?
>=20
> Chris
I think there is no big difference between just running portupgrade vs =20
portmanager.  I would say portmanager is better and faster because you =20
don't need to baby sit, it is really automagical, and there is no =20
messing with an index.  To upgrade one high level port will take that =20
same time on both, if you don't have to pkgdb -F or fiddle with the =20
index.  If it is a low level port portmanager will likely take longer, =20
but get it done right the first time.  If portupgrade finishes first it =20
likely missed some cross dependancies and you will have to do it by =20
hand after you have done some trouble shooting.  The best part about =20
portmanager for is NO RUBY!