Date:      Thu, 04 May 1995 01:04:47 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly), rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, daveh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: slattach!!!!!!!

>> Before I got a dedicated line to campus, I used expect to allow me to ring
>> my house in a specific patern and then have it call up to campus and
>> reconnect.
>
>Huh?  How to you ring a house in a pattern?

Easy.  Ring the line once three times for a minute.  If you do this,
normal people get your answering machine, while you can still have your
modme reconnect to a local service provider from any where in the world
for free.

>> I was able to do this in ~14 lines of expect.  Can I do
>> the same sort of thing with chat?
>
>The purpose of chat is to dial the phone and login to an account, not
>calculate your monthly phone bill. :-)

Oh, expect does that and a whole lot more.  I used it to do auto timeout
of my phone line, wall when it was going down, and even had an interface
for other users to kick the line up from home.  It was a very slick
little setup, and the hardest thing about getting it to work was
fixing slattach.  What I think would be cool for the CDROM install
would be an expect script that determined the type of software your ISP
was running, asked you the right questions, then connected you seamlessly
for an ftp install.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1