Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 14:32:29 -0400
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
To:        bswingle@azstarnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: freebsd cd-rom problem

> Ok, here's the deal....
>
> P75, 24mb Ram, Unknown CDROM type, FBSD 2.2.2B.
>
> No matter what cd player I am using in X, (have tried xcd, xcdplayer &
> xmcd) after approx. anywhere from 10-45 mins of play time, i recieve this
> error on the console:
>
> bswingle@neptune$ atapi1.0: invalid command phase, ireason=0xd0,
> status=d0<busy,ready,opdone>, error=d0
>
> I have no idea what this is. Is this a prob with my hardware or with my
> setup?
>
> Also, here is the line from dmesg at boot time:
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <NEC                 CD-ROM DRIVE:273/4.21>,
> removable, io
> rdy
> atapi1.0: unknown phase
>

> The only way to resume cd play is to reboot. Xmcd gives he message "CD
> Busy" and ceases to work.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated....
>

> -Bill Swingle

> Bill Swingle
> Starnet Network Operations              bswingle@azstarnet.com
> Webmaster

I ran across this posting in the freebsd-questions archives.
I too have the same problem with the exact same CD-ROM drive (came from
a Packard Bell P133 system). Did you ever find an answer for this? I
can't even get my CD-ROM to play...just the kernel message about the cd
being busy and Xmcd says "CD Busy".

  Thanks for you help,

  Kelly Yancey
 ~kbyanc@freedomnet.com~