Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:39:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        langfod@maui.net, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, phk@critter.tfs.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

> > Would it be possible to go LKM happy with a kernel and ask what drivers
> > to use?
>
> This is not a new idea. :-)

For instance, AIX, Solaris, and Linux all do this already, though
the Linux code is alpha quality (IMO).

> However, there are lot of issues to solve to really make this work.

Depending on boot criticality of the devices to be loaded, of course.

> You'll note something called `devfs' in -current which was/is/could be
> part of our great hope in solving some of those issues.

Contestant:	"I'll take 'b', Richard..."
		*ding*
Richard:	"Number one answer, "is", on the board!"

> The only problem with devfs is that the author is never happy with it
> and starts re-writing it from the beginning again before ever finishing
> any of the previous versions. :-)

None of us *ever* do that, Jordan...

		*bzzzzzzzt*
Richard:	"Oh, sorry!  Not there... and the question goes to
		 the Elisher family..."

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---