Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 00:36:03 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very slot TCP connections?

I've recently noticed a problem when attempting to transfer data via
ftp from a site (ftp.usyd.edu.au, which is running Solaris 2.3 or 2.4,
and using wuftpd 2.4).  My FreeBSD 2.0.5 machine is connected to the
net via the user-mode ppp dialup to an Annex terminal server.  The ftp
site I'm connecting to is local to the Annex side.  The problem is that
transfers are painfully slow -- a directory listing comes through at
about one line every 30 seconds.  I haven't noticed this problem when
using ftp to other machines, and I don't see the problem if I connect
from a machine local to that ftp server (but I don't have any FreeBSD
2.0.5 machines on that side).  I've got tcp_extensions set to NO.

I've also found http connections to that site to be unusably slow, although
if I go via a proxy at the remote end it is OK.

Anyone have any ideas about this or about how I could go about tracing
what the problem is?

David