Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:09:20 +0330
From:      "Bahman M." <b.movaqar@adempiere.org>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One Laptop Per Child

On 2007-11-12 Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > I am usually not the one to bring up these things but I feel very
> > strongly about this. Starting Monday, November 12 this website is
> > offering a give one get one deal. I believe the money will be well
> > invested. YMMV
> >
> > http://xogiving.org/
>
> That is a difficult issue, while this is an opportunity, I doubt this
> is the most needed thing to provide education. We are talking giving
> laptop to people who do not even have electricity in some cases...

I second the idea.

No doubt that OLPC is a great effort but I wonder how such ideas will
be useful in 3rd world countries where the IT infrastructures are so
poor that even dial-up Internet is not available in some towns, let
alone villages and rural regions.  I try to be not cynic but there are
so many problems in education system that learning how to use a
computer has a low priority.

Anyway, let's hope OLPC will do what it's supposed to do.

--
Bahman Movaqar

Whenever there are great virtues, it's a sure sign something's wrong.
-Bertolt Brecht