Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 10:09:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        douglas jacobsen <djacobse@umdsun2.umd.umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ethernet card and cable modem

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, douglas jacobsen wrote:

> i have a 3com ethernet card(3c509b) in my system connected to a cable
> modem. for some reason when i try to install freebsd (over the network,
> ftp) it tells me that i have an invalid ip address. when i look at the
> card, neither the active connection (green) light on either the ethernet
> card or the cable modem is on. i was wondering if you could help get the
> card to initialize... btw, linux doesn't initialize it either, and so far
> my only luck with it is win95 (and it takes 10 min to boot, most of the
> time looking at the card). i have had both the ethernet card and the cable
> modem replaced and was wondering if you had any suggestions.
> thank you,

These cards are supported, so this shouldn't be a problem.

1.  Make sure that FreeBSD's settings in the boot-time configuration for
ep0 matches that of the card.  Use the card's setup utility (3c5x9cfg),
set the resources, and note them.
2.  While you're in the setup program, disable plug&pray.
3.  watch the boot probes and make sure that ep0 probes properly.

Disabling plug&pray support may break Windoze95's support for the card,
since it's looking for a PnP device.  Turning PnP back on will solve the
problem.