Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:23:41 +0200 (MET)
From:      "Jesus A. Mora Marin" <amora@obelix.cica.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lots of fdc0 timeout errors

        Hi!

        I have been using FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE at home since last January.
I have never had troubles with floppy disks until recently, but I use them
rather scarcely. The question is that some days ago I got a lot of error
messages on the console when messing with the floppy drive. The message
sounds like:

        fdc0: input ready timeout.

I get a lot of them when formatting, and also when doing dd from/to
the floppy device. I tell you I haven't seen this behaviour until recently.
I wonder whether it is related or not with the new motherboard I have since
last June or so: before that, I had a 486-DX2 at 66MHz, with VLB and never got
even an error msg from the fdc driver, but a couple of months ago I replaced
it with a Pentium motherboard (P-100, Triton chipset). The floppy cable is
connected on the socket in MB. BTW, I have replaced the drive cable in order
to discard a problem with it, but no luck.

The configuration file reads so (unrelated stuff omitted):
cpu             "I586_CPU"
controller      isa0
controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 2 # BTW, I don't need this!
# Main PCI bus device
controller      pci0

Please note I have omitted the FDSEEKWAIT option, and have included ft0, that
is of no value for me. Also, it seems that fd0, an old 5.25" HD drive has passed
away recently, since it looks broken even for MS-doze, and is *still* connected,
waiting to be replaced. My predicaments have to do with fd1, a 3.5" drive
that performs fine in msdos.

So, please any hint will be welcome. Answers such as 'your FD controller in
the MB is broken' should be avoided :)   TIA

                                        Jesus A. Mora
                                        amora@obelix.cica.es

PS: BTW, I have a S3 SuperVGA card plugged into one of the PCI slots. Is manda-
tory to include the 'controller pci0' line?