Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:45:01 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backspace = ^H

As Brian Somers wrote:

> Assuming that nobody has any serious objections to me doing
> this, I'll make the mods to FreeBSD-current (3.0).

Brian, we've been at this discussion before, and came to the
conclusion the only way to keep the people halfways happy, as opposed
to totally confusing a good part of them, is to keep it as it is now.
This was quite some two or three years ago...

The only thing i see that could/might be changed since it doesn't
affect anybody badly is that syscons (and pcvt) might pre-allocate the
VERASE character with the current binding of the <-- key, instead of
putting the ttydefaults VERASE character there.  This should work
around the problem that the default rubout assignment doesn't delete
the last input character as many people would expect it, but still
would get all those people happy who prefer this key being bound to
^?.

Unless anybody has strong objections against this change, feel free to
do it.

--
cheers, J"org