Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:41:11 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Statement regarding FreeBSD release ISO images

All,

There seems to be some confusion created by choices that we made
for the 5.0 release regarding ISO image availability.  To refresh, from
FreeBSD 4.4 to 4.7, we made available 5 iso images for i386 and
alpha.  This consisted of a mini-disc1 that contained only the bits
needed for installing, a full disc1 that contained the mini-disc1
contents plus a collection of high-profile packages, disc2 which
contained a live filesystem plus more packages, and discs 3 and
4 which contained 1.2GB of even more packages.  Starting with
5.0, only 2 or three discs were made available for each architecture.
This included the normal mini-disc1, a disc1 containing packages
from the print-cdrom-packages.sh release script (this was not done
for pc98 and ia64), and a disc2 containing only the live filesystem.

The reasons for this change boil down to this: space and economics.
We have 5 architectures now, so mirroring nearly 3 GB of images
for all 5 becomes quite prohibitive for the donated space and
bandwidth that is our mirror system.  We are all grateful for their
service, so we try to show some consideration in return.

The other reason, economics, is that providing bascially a full
4-disc CD set for free download makes people less likely to buy
from our vendors.  The FreeBSD project would suffer greatly
without those vendors.  So again, we try to show them some
consideration.

Future 5.x releases will follow the same philosophy.  I'm not
leading the 4.x releases so I cannot speak for certain there,
though I suspect that they will follow the same route.

Thanks, and go buy some 5.0 CD's =-)

Scott Long
The Release Engineering Team