Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:11:09 -0400 (edt)
From:      Igigi International <infi@amanda.dorsai.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config (Was: GENERIC Kernel Debate)

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Narvi wrote:

> PS. I do understand having precompiled modules for the kernel would not
> be to everyones taste - but remeber we are not discussing removing the
> source distribution...

   For those of us with slower computers making kernel binaries reusable
would be a GREAT thing.  Certian parts of the kernel are rarely
reconfigured by most people and can just be relinked in rather than
compiled wholesale for each kernel config.  This feature is in config -n
although it sometimes doesn't do the job right, it doesn't seem to know
how to deal with every change.

  As a practical example of what people have been saying about device
tables I've been changing sio and ethernet settings and using config -n,
only 5 or so files need to be recompiled that way, most notably
ioconf.c.  If doing this was made into a stable policy we'd be halfway to
linking in various driver modules, no?