Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 20:29:12 -0600
From:      Ben Ives <ivesbf@fastlane.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: login

>>Well, try logging in as 'root'.  But don't tell anyone; it's a secret.
>>Before you do, go have a look in your local bookshop or library for a
>>book on Unix systems.  The "Dummies guide to Unix" is a good place to start.

Thanks for the advice. I have actually bought and read 3 books on unix, but none
mentioned that one small fact.  The books I have are:

TCP/IP Network Administration, Help for Unix System Administrators, by Craig
Hunt
Unix in Plain English, by Richard Johnson
Teach Yourself Unix, also by Richard Johnson

These books are full of good stuff, but none have much to say about actually

I had never seen unix before I got the CD.  I do have experience with NT,
DOS and
Win(x)(95).  So I think it is fair of me to say that most Unix books I have
seen so far do a very poor job in this area (I previewed several others
before I bought the three).

I am only trying to learn at this time.  I have FreeBSD on a 500 meg
partition (used fips), with Win95 on the other 700 meg.

For no other reason than just to learn, I used the sysinstall to create a user
account.  That worked great.  Then, for no good reason, I changed the root
user name
to Kelsie.  Or I thought I did.  Now neither root or Kelsie will get me
administrative
privileges.

Where did I go wrong?  What do I do now?

And more importantly, do you still recommend "Dummies Guide to Unix" for me?

thanks!