Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:35:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        franky@pinewood.nl (Frank ten Wolde)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-960323 Panic in mount_msdos

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Frank ten Wolde wrote:

> . . . . .
> It would have been nice if some sanity checking would have been performed,
> so that the kernel simply would abort the mount(2) system call with an
> appropriate error (wrong FS type, or something similar).
>
> [...]
>
> > The DOSFS is being rewritten (not by me).
> Neither by me.  Don't get me wrong, I *really* like FreeBSD and my
> remarks are not ment to critisize anyone.  I, for sure, do *not* have the
> time and resources to contribute significantly to FreeBSD and I certainly
> do not make demands of any kind :-)
> I simply pointed out the panic.  Maybe the code maintainer of the DOSFS
> can use this info to make the system even more stable.

Your feedback is appreciated.  I'm currently involved in re-implementing
the msdosfs and agree that mounting a non-FAT fs should be trapped as an
error.  The same logic as used by MS-DOS 'io.sys' in recognizing, and
establishing the layout of, a DOS file system is being incorporated into
the new msdosfs code.

--
Robert Nordier