Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:30:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Sam Feagins <sfeagins@Bugdesign.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd config help

Sam Feagins writes:
> >Try running tcpdump on
> >(a) your internal network interface
> I can see the ICMP request being sent out but nothing coming back
>
> >(b) ng0
> Nothing is travelling on this interface
>
> >(c) your external network interface to see how far packets are getting.
> I see the request going out as ICMP, not a PPTP packet.

Then your outgoing packets are not being routed via the PPTP link.

Try 'ping 192.168.2.240' from an inside machine .. I bet that works,
because there *is* a route to 192.168.2.240 already.

> >Do you have firewall rules installed? Does the remote server know
> >that the route to your internal network is via the PPTP connection
>
> No firewall at all, Just nat.  I've tried with and without nat.
> I assume the remote server knows the route, as this scenario
> works just fine when I use pptpClient.
>

> So apparently it's sending out the packet on my external interface
> (fxp1).  Here's my routing table w/ the mpd running.
> (I cut out the unimportant info)
> Destination    Gateway
> default        adsl-64-219-75-198
> 192.168.2      192.168.2.240
> 192.168.2.240  192.168.2.243
> 192.168.10     link#2
>
> When I run ifconfig I see ng1 up with the following IP:
> inet 192.168.2.243 --> 192.168.2.240 netmask 0xffffffff

You need to add a 'set iface route ...' command to your mpd.conf
so that your outgoing packets get routed via the PPTP link.

You can do this manually via 'route add x.x.x.x/y -interface ng0'.

What network(s) are on the other side of the link? Those are
the ones you need to add routes for in mpd.conf.

-Archie