Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 96 19:48:57 EDT
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation from an IDE CDROM

Hello,

I currently have FreeBSD installed and working.  I unfortunately had to install
the entire system from floppy since my particualar DOS partition was not
compatible with what the FreeBSD installation program was using.  In addition,
I have an IDE CDROM that is the 'master' device on my secondary IDE hard disk
controller.  I compiled a new kernel to include /dev/wcd0 on my secondary IDE
controller and was delighted to see that it works beautifully.  To get to the
point, the same problem that makes it unable for me to install from my DOS
partition has in the past caused a corruption of my entire FreeBSD filesystem
when I made the mistake of trying to mount the DOS partition.  I have since
restored the system, but not without a number of lost hours and productivity.
In case any such or similar accident were to happen again, is there a way to
incorporate my new compiled kernel into the Walnut Creek installation program
so that my installation would be far quicker if needed in the future?

Thank You,

JM