Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:14:35 -0400
From:      "Gary McKinney" <gmckinney@megabits.net>
To:        <obrien@NUXI.com>, "Chuck Robey" <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: relative alpha speed

According to my PC164 motherboard manual (if you consider a thin book a
manual <grin>) the PC164 can be populated with half the memory slots filled
and a jumper set to indicate the data path to the RAM is 128-bits wide.
With all eight slots filled (must be the SAME SIZE SIMMs) and the jumper set
in the "other" configuration the data path is 256-bits wide (which I think
is the configuration of the LX motherboard ([and the EB164 motherboard as
well - have one of them too with the docs...])... I would opt to run all
eight slots as the Memory Manager can then keep the CPU running full speed
(no wait state insertions because the memory data path is too narrow)...

Hope this helps...

gm...