Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:48:43 +0900
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Public FreeBSD lists vs. spammers and our private email addresses

Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>
> [ Anyone can post to -questions ]
>

>>Gawd; I hope it's moderated in that case...
>

> And several spams later, received via this very list...
>
> So, is this list a spam-magnet i.e any spammer can post to it without
> fear?  If so, not only have you just lost me as a potential contributor,
> but it's going to get listed as such.  There is *no* excuse for running an
> open mailing list any more.

I think spamfilters are doing already a good job here; spam that makes it
through to the lists, seems to be fairly small. In addition, I believe it's
the policy of the list maintainers, to keep the thresshold as low as possible
for participation in the Q&A.
You can avoid subscription by following the newsgroup instead (e.g. on gmane).

However, there's a more serious problem: all emails to the FreeBSD lists are
propagated to public newsgroups and archives with the original (private) email
addresses unmodified. Since the newsgroups and archives are public, it's a
great source of email addresses for spammers.

Especially innocent people, who just want to ask a question, will suffer, since
they may realize too late (if not even never realizing at all!) that the lists
are actually advertising their private email addresses on the public newsgroups
and archives.

It would be much better if propagation to the newsgroups and archives
would scramble the private email addresses, to make such lists unusable
for collectors of email addresses for sending spam.

Rob.