Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:33:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Eric Yagerlener <ery@grfn.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with telnet in linemode.

I have FreeBSD version 2.1.0 and am having a bit of trouble with telnet
in the line-at-a-time mode.  It seems to work fine when you send lines
shorter than about 132 charecters, but longer lines get broken and
counted as a new line after about the 132 charecter mark.

So when you type:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. [CR]

It is sent as...

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy do[CR]
g.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. [CR]

Using a MUD client like saywhat, TinyFuge, or TinyTalk won't change this
problem at all.  The server that used to run the ISP
(uranus.novagate.com) had BSDi version 2.1.0 and suffered exactly the
same problem.   It wasn't until they upgraded to a new server
(sulaco.novagate.com), and to a new version of BSDi, that the problem
went away.

The problem can be really inconvient because if I want to use the .tell
command to tell someone something in private, I have to limit what I have
to say to about one line.  MUDs that can work with the charecter mode
can ignore the broken lines.  The MUDs that are strictly line-mode can't.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

-- Eric